Friday, August 19, 2011

Vikings vs. Social Democrats

My knowledge of 20th century Scandinavian political history is relatively weak. I began at the beginning, and so of course, as yet, I know more about Vikings than Social Democrats. It only makes chronological sense.

So I tell myself. I don't believe me. This is the truth: I know less about Tage Erlander than Erik Bloodax because Vikings fascinate me much, much more than modern statesmen. Maybe this speaks poorly of my character, but so would denying the truth.

Indeed, I dread trying to learn as much about modern politicans, economists, activists and social reformers as I already know about ancient Norsemen. I could die of boredom.

Which may be as good as admiting this multibiography needs another author.

But since I couldn't stop now if I wanted to, here are the names of several Social Democrats newly under consideration for the Scandinavian 81: Tage Erlander, Karl Hjalmar Branting, Ernst Wigorss, Gustav Moller, and Knut Wicksell. They're all Swedes. Along with Gunnar and Alva Myrdal and Olof Palme (and, in Norway, Gro Harlem Brundtland) they seem to bear important responsibility for developing and implementating the modern Scandinavian welfare state.

None of them, insofar as I have any reason to believe, ever killed anyone with an ax.

No comments:

Post a Comment