Sunday, May 20, 2012

draft of Scandinavian 81

Here's the beginnings of a draft of the Scandinavian 81. For the moment, I'll content myself with  the top 27. Each name links to the subject's wikipedia page. One day, I hope, this project will morph into a full-fledged, moderated wiki of its own.


1.  Niels Bohr

2.  Alfred Nobel

3.  Tycho Brahe

4.  Fridtjof Nansen

5.  Dag Hammarskjold

6.  Margrete Valemarsdatter

7.  Henrik Ibsen

8.  Carl Linnaeus

9.   Hans Orsted


10.  Jon Berzelius

11.  Alva and Gunnar Myrdal

13.  Kristian Birkeland

14.  Svante Arrhenius

15.  Soren Kierkegaard

16.  Gustavus Adolphus

17. Gro Harlem Brundtland

18. Frederika Bremer


19.  Ole Romer

20. Carl Wilhelm Scheele

21.  Anders Celsius

22.  Olof Palme

23.  Linus Torvalds

24.  Hjalmar Branting

25.  Emmanuel Swedenborg

26.  Sven Hedin

27.   Raoul Wallenberg


I'm nowhere near satisfied with this yet, probably I never will be. I'm not certain that it's even possible to rank individual human beings in terms of their historical influence, even within the same field, much less between fields as various as science, cinema, politics, literature, art. But my reservations won't stop me from trying. If anything, they spur me on.






























No comments:

Post a Comment