Saturday, January 22, 2011

13 minutes to close

I'm pleased to say that at least two people have found this blog.  But there's a downside.  I'm going to have to straighten up.  Guests might now start dropping in at any moment.

A week or two ago I asked a friend of mine, a guy whose knowledge of history deeply impresses me (which is saying something) how much he knew about Scandinavian history.  This was his response almost verbatim:  "Some people lived in the cold, then they were Vikings, then Lutherans, then made furniture."   A brilliant summation on the spur!  Well  done!

I was at Alki beach with another friend of mine recently, on a blustery freezing Sunday.  The water and weather brought the Vikings to my mind.  I confessed that the more Viking history I read, the more like I feel I owe the Irish reparations.  I'm half Norwegian: it was the Norwegian Vikings who especially despoiled Ireland, and they did it for a very, very long time.

She let me buy her a Guiness and we called it even.

No comments:

Post a Comment