Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tycho

Today I picked the brain of an acquaintance, a professor of the philosophy of science, about Tycho Brahe.  I learned that this worthy Scandinanvian's name is pronounced Teeko Bri (rhymes with "sky"), not Ticho Bra-hee, as I had assumed.  In between chess moves, I was recommended some books pertaining to Tycho and his achievements, including Kuhn's Copernican Revolution, which I KNEW I should have picked up.  It's probably not too late, but still, I ought to trust my hunches, and err on the side of grabbing whatever might prove to be useful to write this thing. 
The plan of action:  Finish listing and ranking the 78.  Write drafts of 3 or 4 of the biographies.  I'm thinking Gustavus Adolphus, out of familiarity as much as affection, and Tycho--these guys are interesting to me, more so, as baroque era Europeans as Scandinavians. 
I want to have a proposal soon.
Today the 78 welcomes (for the moment) Halldor Laxness, Carl Larsson, Arne Jacobsen and Gideon Sundback.   

No comments:

Post a Comment