Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The search for the Search for Odin



As far as I can tell, Heyerdahl's Search for Odin (Jakten pa Odin in Norwegian) has yet to be translated into English. This saddens me, the more so because the book drew "forceful and detailed response from leading academics," which allegedly verged on the personal. The Heyerdahl controversies fascinate me, this one most especially. 
Was Heyerdahl a visionary who saw beyond the confining dogmas of archaeological orthodoxy? A smasher of received prehistoric paradigms, predictably crucified by the scientific establishment for his many heresies? Or, was he an imaginative, eloquent, physically courageous kook who took intellectually unconscionable liberties with evidence and logic?  And does the answer, for my purposes, even matter?
One interesting fact about Heyerdahl, he's been, so far, my most frequently suggested Scandinavian. (But he was on my list from the first.)        

2 comments:

  1. If you buy a copy of it, I will translate it for you. I can translate from Norwegian into English, and if I get stuck, we can ask Einar! I've really, really been wanting something to motivate me to get back into Norwegian more actively. Something like this would give me the kick in the ass I need! I'm 100% serious... I checked UW libraries to see if they have a copy of the book, but they don't. If you order one, I am serious. And I can even pencil in the meanings of the words in the Norwegian text so you can get a feel for the meaning yourself... Let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a worthwhile project to look at again. I see now many DNA links of Norwegians and Lake Van, Turkey (myself included, to my surprise). maybe it is not a myth ...

    ReplyDelete