Sunday, May 8, 2011

Does it violate the blogger code of ethics to edit your published posts? I'm a neophyte to blogger culture. Indeed, not even that. The Scandinavian 81 is less a "web log" than a live online notebook on a work in (not much) progress. When I look at it I find, unsurprisingly, that it's littered with typos, which I correct as I notice them. I see also, again unsurprisingly, that The 81 is shot through with crudities, triviality, vagueness, redundancies: it's a notebook. There are bits and pieces that hopefully, in time, will work there way into polished pieces about the eighty one most historically influential Scandinavians. And so my question.  Do I have license to edit? So far, my rule of thumb has been that--excepting typos, as noted--I am free to change a post in any way until someone has commented on it. Then, it's locked. Otherwise, I have changed the context of the comment, which would be rude. The more so because the comments have been so positive and encouraging. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I edit my posts all the time. Sometimes I save a draft of an incomplete idea, and then finish it, but it doesn't show up as the latest in the queue so it gets buried. What you can do is make sure that each post is appropriately 'tagged'. In the field at the bottom of the blog post you can list a few key-words that can help people interested in those topics find your blog through google or any other search engine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edit mine all the time, too. If you change something major, you could always do a new post letting people know that, in case they want to go back and see what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say, 'Edit away!' It's an online notebook, as you've posted. It is therefore implied the entries are subject to revision and those commenting likely consider that to be the case. They can always comment on the revisions. So edit, revise, improve - and post more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I say it's your blog and you can do whatever you want to it!

    ReplyDelete