Sunday, February 6, 2011

the Jewish 100

I revisited the Jewish 100 by Michael Shapiro.  My memory was good, but not perfect.  Marx is all the way down at #7.  Moses, Jesus, Einstein, Freud, Abraham, and Paul are all held, by Shapiro, to have been more historically influential than Marx.  He views Marx quite negatively, which probably partially explains his "low" ranking. 

Myself, I would rate Jesus over Moses, Marx over Freud, and would argue that Abraham, as the inventor of monotheism, deserves serious consideration for number one.   But half the fun of such lists is disagreeing with them.  For example, the author of the Jewish 100 places Anne Frank at #12.  If I were compiling this list I would certainly include Miss Frank, but placing her as high as #12, in my opinion, is sheer sentimentality.  (As is, no doubt, my own very high estimation of Gunnar Sonsteby.)  

Of more immediate interest is Niels Bohr.  Bohr's mother was Jewish, so according to the rules of Judaism, he counts (though whether he was at any point in his life in any sense I practicing Jew, I have not yet discovered.)  I believe Bohr is the only individual who will appear in both the Jewish 100 and in the Scandinavian 78.   Shapiro puts him at #16. 

History's most influential Scandinavian is only its sixteenth most influential Jew!  What are the odds?

In all seriousness, Shapiro clearly unappreciates Niels Bohr.

No comments:

Post a Comment