Thursday, February 24, 2011

running high

The eminent Scandinavians now in the running for the 78 now exceeds 80.  Several have, on due research and consideration, been readmitted.  Several others are still under review.  The final cuts will be harsh.  For now, though, I'm changing tact: I'm going to let the list run high, up to 90 or more, before I start making the necessary cuts. 

Here are a few worthies whose place on the 78 I currently consider to be insecure. 

(1)  Egill Skalagrimsson.  I love him for being a prolific poet and ax murderer, but his entry may well fold into Snorri's. 

(2)  Saint Birgitta.  I may fold her into Queen Margreta. 

(3)  Christian IV of Denmark.  Almost certain not to make the final cut.  He will certainly, however, make honorable mention, not the least for losing an eye in battle, as a good Scandinavian king should.

(4)  Asbjornsen & Moe.  I am reluctant to disqualify these guys particularly since they were, as I have said, (indirectly) recommended to me by a real live Norwegian.  Also, they certainly fit the pagan theme of the Scandinavian 78. 

(5)  Carl Larsson.  I like his work, but his Wikipedia page (unlike, say, Munch's) isn't especially long. 

(6)  Par Laerkvist.  I don't think he'll be the only Nobel prize winning writer not to make the final 78. 

(7)  Ingri d'Aulaire.  Excluding her would be like chopping off a limb, so profound was her influence on this author in his childhood.

I'm considering some othere ideas I'm not crazy about, such as folding Harold Bluetooth, Sigrid the Haughty,  Canute the Great, ete cetera, into a single entry to be called "the Viking Kings and Queens."
But I hate the thought of stereotyping their achievements.  Another such entry might be called "the Viking explorers," and include Erik the Red, Leif, and Gudrid, as well as others.  Again, it doesn't thrill me.  I think I would rather eliminate candidates than make them share the spotlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment