Friday, February 4, 2011

Young Vikings

Attention drifted from the 78 there for a few days.  Other distractions are fighting for my attention. 

At a cafe where I sometimes write, this guy I know noticed a book I was reading on the Vikings.  "The thing about the Vikings," he remarked, "is that they were so young."  I asked him to explain.  "Leif Ericson was like eighteen when he crossed the ocean to North America," he replied.  "Wasn't he?"

I did not know.  "But it would make sense," I said.  "I obviously don't have balls like Leif.  But the closest I ever could have come to willingly venturing out into the North Atlantic, in what amounts to a big canoe, would have been at about the age of eighteen.  The lure of adventure probably strongest about then.   And eighteen year olds combine young energy with adult muscular coordination.   They're probably better suited than anyone for such adventures."   I might have added that eighteen year olds, while they might not believe they're immortal, know it, deep down. 

I'm still not much more knowledgeable about westward Viking exploration than I was twenty years ago.  So much to read, so much to learn.

A friend of mine helped change the template on this blog to something more suitable for the time being.  He also tried to help me set up a Wiki account so I can do the 78 right.  It didn't work.  But I've got two people looking into it now.  It shouldn't be long.     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment